67,Queen Street, Great Harwood, Lancashire, BB6 7QP
NEW Check out our new range of candles on our GIFT page
Shop local, shop with confidence . . Shop with a smile x
Great value, for all your =BOOKS,DVD and Music needs delivered to your home or work. (your worth it)
"make us your bookshop of choice"
- The Mill Girls : Moving True Stories of Love and Loss from Inside Lancashire's Cotton Mills
- Johnson, Tracy £6.99
- 'That morning I dragged my heels all the way to the mill. "I can't do it," I sulked. Mother sighed and shook her head.
My heart sank. I'd seen it hundreds of times, but now it was different - now, I was going in. I'd never seen a place so depressing.
I wanted to cry.' With tales from hard working Audrey and mischievous Maureen to high-spirited Doris and dedicated Marjorie, The Mill Girls is an evocative story of hardship and friendship when cotton was still king. Through the eyes of four northern mill girls, we are offered a fascinating glimpse into the lives of ordinary women who rallied together, nattered over the beamers and, despite the hard working conditions, weaved, packed and laughed to keep the cotton mills spinning.
About the Author
Tracy Johnson gained an honours degree in English and Women's Culture from Northumbria University and went on to study for her NCTJ qualification in Print Journalism in Liverpool. Tracy has worked on a number of local and national publications including: Clitheroe Advertiser, Love it!, Closer, LOOK, Woman's Own and That's Life. She was promoted to Deputy Features Editor at More and then Features Editor at Real People. After spending seven years in London, Tracy was ready for a new challenge and, missing the rural delights of Lancashire, headed back to her roots to become a freelance writer.
Hi welcome to my world, a world of "thrills and spills, murder mystery, health and wealth, peter rabbit,where's wally?, pop goes the weasel, look good and live longer, spooks, local walks, eat and sleep, yes its the magical world of books. Situated on the High Street, in the historical market town of Great Harwood, you will find Pam's Bookend . We stock all types of books for all ages and we are proud to be an integral part of the community.
We offer a warm inviting shop, and love to let children choose their own books from our wide range of children's books,often having mums and dads with their children sat around browsing. We offer local history and walking books and offer an out-of-print service for those books which customers enjoyed years ago. In addition to this we have hosted a number of local author days in the shop. We run our own schools book club, regularly meeting in the shop to review books.
We have a monthly feature on Radio Lancashire reviewing favourite reads. We offer a fast and reliable ordering service for your complete needs.
Come and visit us and whilst here enjoy a coffee at our local "Cafe Latte" the place to be seen
* *Indulge in pies and cakes from "Brewchetta, or go back in time with the "Sweetie Den"
Shortlisted (Northern region) for Indie bookshop of the year 2013
Barrington Stoke,s Bookseller Of The Month May 2012.
Shortlisted (Northern region) for Indie bookshop of the year 2011
If you like shopping from the comfort of your home then visit hive and make us your favorite book shop,plus free delivery to the shop for collection
100 years ago saw the outbreak of World War 1 in August 1914
£18.99 our price £6.99
This book is a chronological history of the conflict from June 1914 to November 1918, a must read .
and for children
£12.99 our price £9.99
- The classic children's book about the First World war and the legendary Christmas Day cease-fire football match in no-mans-land. * A special lavish new edition of a modern classic - winner of the Smarties Grand Prize * Contains a special new introduction from Michael Foreman, additional new illustrations and 4 pages of extra background material on the Christmas Day in the trenches and football during the war. * A heartfelt and informative story that takes the reader into the trenches.
* Beautifull and newly remastered illustrations using Michael Foreman's original watercolour paintings "A masterpiece" - The Times Literary Supplement "The work of a major children's author at his peak" - The Daily Telegraph "An unforgettable experience" - The Guardian Approximately 2,500 words Age range: 7+
- Additional Information:
- Children / Juvenile
Store opening hours
- 10.30 - 16.30
- 10.30 - 16.30
- 10.30 - 16.30
- 10.30 - 16.30
- 10.30 - 13.00
Book Signing at the shop By Tracy Johnson look out for dates.